cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Custom action stopped working

Okay I'm really puzzled as to what's going on with my basic msi project.

About a week ago I had posted a thread on here where I was having problems launching an .exe (custom action) in deferred mode.

Well it gets better. Today I was running through my project and discovered that another custom action I created (launch a readme at the end of the install) has now stopped working.

It did work when I started this project, but now, a couple of weeks later, it won't launch.

The only way I can get the readme to launch is if I have the 'Install Exec Condition' left completely blank. Originally I had (Not Installed) And (UILevel=5) in as a condition but now it won't launch with that in there.

Since this is my second deferred custom action now that doesn't behave as expected, I'm thinking there's a setting or something I must have checked for this to happen. Has anyone else run into this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you generate an MSI log file, does it mention that your action conditions are failing?
0 Kudos
ITI_Randy
Level 6

So the executable launches but the condition fails. You mentioned that it worked a couple of weeks ago but not now. I have a couple of thoughts to offer:

1. Try deleting the entire custom action and adding it again. If you are overlooking something obvious or if there is something that has changed that you can't readily see, this may fix the issue.

2. Try adding a temporary custom action to allow you to stop at the same point in the sequence in debug mode and check the condition values to see if you are getting what you think they are. This will require a registry update if you are running this action deferred.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Okay, I'm back again. Still no luck.

a. I created a brand new basic msi project
b. Created a custom action 'launch_readme' straight out of the MSI book.
c. Created a property called 'VIEW_README' in property manager, gave it a blank value
d. Created a checkbox on the ReadytoInstall dialog - text is 'view readme at end of install?" Linked the property to the above 'VIEW_README' and gave it a value of 1.
e. Went back to my custom action, in the Install Exec Condition I entered "(VIEW_README=1)"

When I went to run the install, the action is launched regardless if the box is checked or not. I'm assuming that when it's checked it's assigned the value of 1, correct? Maybe I'm missing something.

I made a log file when I ran the install the first time, I did not check the box in this log file.
0 Kudos