cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uri_peer
Level 3

Custom action does not run the executable with administrator privileges

Hi All,

I am currently using the Limited edition, and created a custom action which should run my software after installation. I was hoping that by doing that, the software would run with administrator privileges... but it does not. As a matter of fact, it looks like it doesn't run at all (but this could be due to the fact that it does not have the right permissions to run).

I am new to Custom actions, so any ideas would be much appreciated.
I don't have the options to set it to run as deferred execution, since currently it's after the setup complete success screen. It has no conditions, so I expected it to run....

Help?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Shekar
Level 7

if you are hoping to run it in deferred, you cannot set it last. just before the last action you can schedule it. The other option would be to set required execution level to admin under releases. I do not think you can set admin privileges to third party exe. does your custom action install exe?
0 Kudos
uri_peer
Level 3

Turns out that if i'm running the installer as administrator, everything works.
So now all I have to do, since I don't know in advanced in which folder will the user have the installer prior to installation, is to create a dynamic shortcut to the installer and set it to always run as administrator... So basically I need an installer for the installer. Anyone has better suggestions?
0 Kudos
uri_peer
Level 3

I don't really want to run it in deferred (immediate is fine by me), and the right place for it is to be right after the Setup Complete Success screen - but it HAS to run with elevated administrator privileges, which does not seem to happen, unless I run the setup.exe itself as administrator.

Shekar wrote:
if you are hoping to run it in deferred, you cannot set it last. just before the last action you can schedule it. The other option would be to set required execution level to admin under releases. I do not think you can set admin privileges to third party exe. does your custom action install exe?
0 Kudos