cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Custom Release and Cache MSI Locally

I have a Basic MSI project and I need to cache the MSI file on the target machine. I am doing this because I am using the Windows Installer API from within my application to do some things.

So, I created a Custom release, and set it to the Web type, as this is the only type that lets you cache the MSI on the target machine. I set the path to:

[ProgramFilesFolder]CompanyName\AppName

What happens is that it actually stores it to:

[ProgramFilesFolder]CompanyName\AppName\GUID-of-something

It puts the MSI file in a GUID folder under my folder structure. If I look in my installer project, I can't find any GUID that this matches. So, in my app, when I am building a path to the MSI (to open it), I would have to hard code the GUID part of it, because it doesn't match anything I am familiar with.

Does anyone know what this GUID refers to?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I faintly remember someone mentioning that the GUID is the package code; does that match up for you?
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

No, it doesn't match the Package code, Product code, Upgrade code, or any of the Component codes.

That's strange. I would have thought it would match the Package or Product code.

So, it seems I would just have to hard code this GUID in the app. That is if the GUID is consistent on all Windows platforms. If it's not, then I'll have to get the path to the MSI file another way.
0 Kudos