cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aramosvizcarra
Level 2

Custom Dialogs/UI designer

Hello,
I've been trying to learn this software for a week already with no success and I feel pretty confused when thinking in custom views.
My scenario is:
I have a piece of software (a plugin) I need to install.
This contains:
- a few dll's,
- a database file
- 7 plugins (for 7 version of the software where it should be installed), so only one will be actually installed, depending what version of the software the user have.
- 4 plugins for another software (same idea, only one will be installed depending on which of the second applications the user have installed)

Also the user should have a license file to activate this plugins.

Now I need to create a custom dialog that will display a dropdown list with all the software versions the user have installed and let the user decides which one will be using the plugin.
It will also have another dropdown list for the other plugin if the user have also the other software.

Finally I need to have another custom dialog that will let the user choose if they want to use a trial period or if they have a license file to register the plugin.

I have been able to create a dialog like that, it just seem imposible for me to add controls to a dialog and to write the scripts.

I probably need a whole training on this but since I have to let my boss know if we should buy this software or not I need to know first if this is going to take too much time in learning.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

Populating a listbox control dymanically at runtime is one of the trickier things to do using MSI.

http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/IHelpEUDialogsListBox.htm

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14649833/wix-populate-listbox

Good luck!

Chad

0 Kudos
devuiux
Level 2

aramosvizcarra wrote:
Hello,
I've been trying to learn this software for a week already with no success and I feel pretty confused when thinking in custom views.
My scenario is:
I have a piece of software (a plugin) I need to install.
This contains:
- a few dll's,
- a database file
- 7 plugins (for 7 version of the software where it should be installed), so only one will be actually installed, depending what version of the software the user have.
- 4 plugins for another software (same idea, only one will be installed depending on which of the second applications the user have installed)

Also the user should have a license file to activate this plugins.

Now I need to create a custom dialog that will display a dropdown list with all the software versions the user have installed and let the user decides which one will be using the plugin.
It will also have another dropdown list for the other plugin if the user have also the other software.

Finally I need to have another custom dialog that will let the user choose if they want to use a trial period or if they have a license file to register the plugin.

I have been able to create a dialog like that, it just seem imposible for me to add controls to a dialog and to write the scripts.

I probably need a whole training on this but since I have to let my boss know if we should buy this software or not I need to know first if this is going to take too much time in learning.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am at the same stage. Did you get the answer? how did resolve it? if you got the answer to suggest me so that I can dig out the issue.
0 Kudos