cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobmcm461
Level 6

Crystal Report Prerequisites

I have an Installscript MSI project that installs a 32 bit application that is dependant on Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008. I had included the 32 bit runtime prerequisite in my installation, but it was not getting installed on a 64 bit OS (Windows Server 2008 64-bit). I looked at the conditions, and it checks for 32 bit OSs. I have added the 64-bit runtime prerequisite to the installation, but it also is not getting installed. If I manually install the runtime, I don't get any errors on the system, and everything my application works ok. I have rechecked the prerequisite fill and all looks ok. Does anyone have any pointers.

Thanks,
Robert McMahan
Siemens Energy
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
rguggisberg
Level 13

We have a 32 bit app that uses Crystal Reports. I use the 'Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime Version 12.2.0.290' merge module and do not have this problem in my Basic MSI project. Could you use that MM?
0 Kudos
bobmcm461
Level 6

rguggisberg wrote:
We have a 32 bit app that uses Crystal Reports. I use the 'Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime Version 12.2.0.290' merge module and do not have this problem in my Basic MSI project. Could you use that MM?

I would have no problem trying the MM, but I was never able to find one. (I am using the version of Crystal that comes with Visual Studio, and there is no merge module provided, only the MSIs that I've been using with the prerequisites). Where did you get the MM that you are using?

Thanks for the Reply,
Robert McMahan
0 Kudos
bobmcm461
Level 6

I've made a few steps forward. I added Windows 2008 64-bit (Any) to the conditions, and the installation now fires. Unfortunatly, I get an error message that the installation failed, do you want to continue. If I continue, the installation finishes, and the application appears to work correctly. If I run the installation manually with the exact same command line parameters, the installation appears to run properly, I get no errors. Any suggestions? This is bizzare. It appears to me that the return code from the MSI must be incorrect. How do I find out what is being returned when the MSI completes?

Thanks,
Robert McMahan
0 Kudos
bobmcm461
Level 6

After reading the help file on the prerequisite editor, and some other entries in the community, I found the problem. The prerequisite conditions are setup incorrectly. The registry check that is done to determine if Crystal Reports is installed is set with the values for the 32 bit version of Crystal Reports, not the 64 bit.

32-bit Registry Entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE26F10F-C80F-4377-908B-1B7882AE2CE3}

64-bit Registry Entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2BFA9B05-7418-4EDE-A6FC-620427BAAAA3}

Also as I am installing a 32-bit application, it was checking the incorrect area of the registry, so I had to change the radio button to force the check of the 64-bit registry area.

After making these 2 changes, everything seems to be working correctly on both 32 and 64 bit operating systems.

Robert McMahan
Siemens Energy
0 Kudos
AdamL3024
Level 3

I was also getting errors when installshield was attempting to install the x64 package. This solution also fixed my issue.

Good Work
0 Kudos
mitutoyo
Level 4

Appreciate you posting the resolution to this problem. You just saved me a lot of frustration.
0 Kudos