cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tesmond
Level 2

Creating virtual directories in IIS7 without Applications

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is having the difficulty I am having with Installshield 2008 and creating a Web application installation and IIS7?

I wish to perform a simple installation with 4 virtual directories all located in the Default Website. My installation is as I would expect in IIS6, but in IIS7 I am forced to create Applications which contain the virtual directories.

What is created is Applications containing virtual directories with the same physical path.

If I leave the "Application name" field in Installshield blank, the install completes, but fails to create the virtual directories.

If I give all the virtual directories the same application name, then only the first virtual directory is created (again with the same physical path as the application parent).

It seems impossible to create multiple virtual directories under a single application, or to create virtual directories under the default website.

Is it necessary to write script in order to successfully add virtual directories in IIS7 or is there something I am missing?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately, it is not possible to create only a virtual directory or application with InstallShield 2008. For the next release of InstallShield, the virtual directory under the application in IIS7 will no longer created. However, it will not be possible to create a virtual directory without an application. This is something that we are looking to address in a future release.

You may try setting the IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS property in your project to always use the IIS6 style behavior. Note that on an IIS7 machine, this will require the IIS metabase compatibility option to be installed.
0 Kudos