cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mary_v
Level 6

Create setup which always installs

is it possible to create a setup package, which not only shows no add/remove in "software", but also installs always like a "new" installation?

thanks in advance
mary
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
timstspry
Level 7

Hello Mary, using an InstallScript project type is the only way I know how to do it. You would set the Maintenance Experience in the Project Properties tab of the General Information view to "No uninstall or maintenance".

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Tim
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

Hi timstspry,

I'll give it a try and post the result as soon as possible!

Thanks
maryv
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

It's possible to do it with an MSI, but it's not as "clean" as with InstallScript type. There are actions you can remove or condition not to run that will prevent Windows Installer from recognizing that the product is already installed. However, the Component codes still get written to the registry, and since the product they refer to isn't installed, they get orphaned.

Set the following so they don't run:
RegisterProduct
RegisterUser
PublishFeature
PublishProduct

Also, set the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property to "1" so the install won't show in Add/Remove Programs.

I agree that you may be better off with an InstallScript type project, unless you have to support MSI for some reason, like supporting a push through Group Policy, that you can't do with an .exe.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Windows installer does support a multiple instance installation scenario.
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

thanks for all your suggestions...

i tested multiple instances and it suits my needs.

btw, i can't change the text in this dialog ... create new instance/change existing, right?

mary
0 Kudos