cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlbradas01
Level 3

Crash in one-click install under IIS6 but not IIS5

Hi,
I'm trying to track down a crash that occurs in the ether object for one-click install.

We have been using Installshield for years now for a one-click install project. This nasty technical problem occurred in our recent migration to IIS 6. The project we used has been running under IIS 5/5.1 for years now, dozens of different builds, never a crash. Now that we've moved our test environment to IIS 6, it now crashes doing the one-click install. 😞

I traced the crash down to the javascript command where the following is called:

ether.Play()

Anyone else see this? Any clues where to start? I used WinDBG to look at the stack and it's definitely in setup.ocx (based on the exports, it might be in ISetupPlayer::Release(), but those might not be reliable. But maybe that's a clue.)

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Joe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
jlbradas01
Level 3

In case someone else runs into this, I'll tell you what the fix was.

It seemed when I looked in the IIS logs, that upon installation it attempted to fetch a file called setup.ini. IIS 6 blocks it, and returns a 404 error. (I didn't spot it at first because our client-side debugging proxy didn't see the download attempt.) Apparently the repeated failures to access setup.ini caused the ether.Play() call to crash :eek:

Adding the following MIME types for IIS 6 allowed the InstallShield one-click install to work:
.ini (text/plain)
.hdr (application/octet-stream)
.inx (application/octet-stream)

The mystery that remains is why I didn't see this in any sort of documentation, and why nobody else seems to have run into this problem. Granted, someone else did the IIS 6 migration so I had to figure this out on my own, but it would seem like this would be a pretty common issue among installshield users in general. Maybe there is a different way of doing it that I'm not aware of?

If anyone else ran into this and has a better way to handle this situation, let me know.
0 Kudos