cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ppsmxion
Level 3

Could not compress...

I get an error message -1501: Coult not compress into Data1.cab

The is an XML documentation file for one of my assemblies. I.t. the file that is generated by Visual Studio if you check the corresponding check box in project settings. Why it cannot be compressed to the cab file???

I can bypass this problem by removing the XML files. I have multiple assemblies that have XML documentation and they all fail when building the installer. However, this isn't acceptable since our customers need the XML documentation files.

The error description says that this happens if using compressed build. Well, it's hard for me to create uncompressed build since IS trial version only creates a compressed setup.exe. What's up with that? If you want people not to get their hands on the .msi file then this is a poor way to handle it. Firstly, potential customers have to deal with this kind of **** and secondly you can always get the .msi file either just before setup.exe is generated or when .msi file is extracted when you run setup.exe.

Is this stupid limitation removed if we purchase IS Professional license and will XML documentation files be added to Data1.cab file correctly? It's getting more annoying each day to evaluate this... :mad:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Johannes_John
Level 7

Hello ppsmxion,

I've currently not read the limitations of the Evaluation Version.
How large is that XML file. Do you allready have tried a small XML file?

Regards
Johannes
0 Kudos
ppsmxion
Level 3

Johannes John wrote:
Hello ppsmxion,

I've currently not read the limitations of the Evaluation Version.
How large is that XML file. Do you allready have tried a small XML file?

Regards
Johannes

XML file size is 1.52 MB.

I was forced to purchase the Pro version so that I have tools to release versions to customers but I still get this same error. I left the xml files out so that I could build an installer but naturally I've started to get complaints about missing class descriptions etc...

I haven't tried with smaller files. Are you saying that there are file size limits for xml files?
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I have compressed XML files into our installer, a basic MSI install.

Have you tried deleting the file reference and adding it back in? At compile time does the file exist in the path specified as the source path? Is there a service or something that needs to be turned off that can cause a lock on the file?

I do not think this is a size issue, unless you are talking about a file > 2 GB in size, which of course you are not.

IF you create an uncompressed configuration and compile while including the file reference does it compile correctly?
0 Kudos
ppsmxion
Level 3

I managed to solve the problem by using dynamic file linking. I.e. I deleted the components (project documentation output) pointing to the XML files and added one component that uses dynamic file linking. I then specified which files to include (the XML files) and I was able build my project without problems.

I hope this won't come back and bite me in the ***embly in the future. It's been nothing but problems since day one with InstallShield... I hope someone struggling with this same issue will find my resolution useful.
0 Kudos