cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjcemc
Level 4

Corrupted VPD?? Null Pointer HELP PLEASE! Reset VPD??

When I install my product onto a machine which has had the same product installed....uninstalled...installed...(many times), I am now getting an error in the install.log at the end of the installation. The install seems to go fine, but I get this in the installer.log:

(May 1, 2006 2:15:34 PM), Install, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32PPKRegistryServiceImpl, err, java.lang.NullPointerException
STACK_TRACE: 20
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.VPDDef.pack(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.VPDDef.getId(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.VPDDef.saveParents(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.VPDDef.saveParents(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.VPDDef.saveSoftwareObjectCache(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.PureJavaRegistryServiceImpl.writeVPD(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.PureJavaRegistryServiceImpl.finalizeRegistry(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.LocalImplementorProxy.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractService.invokeImpl(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.registry.GenericRegistryService.finalizeRegistry(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.finalizeRegistry(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

I saw some other posts about renaming (or deleting) the .../common files/Installshield/.../_vpddb files. But this did not help.

QUESTION: HOW DOES ONE RESET THIS VPD? I want start over! This is my development machine and I do NOT want to uninstall ISMP11.5 and reinstall it. BTW....running the tutorial that shows the VPD does not run. It never did out of the box. Please help. Thank you. :confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

Duuude - no need to yell!!!

What you need to do is Remove/Rename the Gen1 directory!

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Universal\common\Gen1

At least this is what I had to do when I copied a project to a different project and installed it without changing any of the UUID's and it installed OK but could not uninstall either one! Kept erroring out - forget the error!

Deleting the Gen1 directory allowed me to uninstall!!

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
tjcemc
Level 4

Sorry....I wasn't yelling (although sometimes I feel like it). I tried making the font a little bigger and it messed it up on the post.

Anyway....thanks for the post. Yeah, that was what I was doing...renaming the GEN folder. Seems to work, but this also blows away all other IS registry info for other apps which were installed on this machine using IS. Not a very elegant solution...it works and I will have to live with it.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

I was kidding about the yelling!

But I hear yah about muffing up other installs so what I've been doing is creating a different location for my VPD by setting the VPD Location property in the Gen Info -> Adv Prop -> VPD Location -> MyPath!

What that will do is basically replace the common path with MyCompany!

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Universal\MyCompany\Gen1

Yo can even do MyCompany\MyProduct

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Universal\MyCompany\MyProduct\Gen1

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos