cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lquehl
Level 2

Copy Prerequisites from Source Media fails with Multi Disk Setup

Hello,

I am encountering a strange behaviour with my Basic MSI project. My release is a Custom (I specify which features go on which Disk), 2 CD Setup. I have configured my prerequisites to Install before feature selection, and they are configured to "Copy Prerequisites from Source Media".

After building the installation package, if i test my install from my local drive, the prerequisites install beautifully. If I attempt to install from CD media, then I get the following error for all of my prerequisites: "The files for installation requirement Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package could not be found. The installation will now stop. This is probably due to a failed, or canceled download".

For a year, this has always worked fine for me...and now I have recently changed my release to a 2 CD setup, and this no longer works. My project consists of many releases, some of which are still single CD and these all still work fine. So why, when I switch to a multi disk setup, can my package no longer find the prerequisites that are located on the source media?

I verified this behaviour with a brand new Basic MSI project which only has 2 Features ("Feature 1" and "Feature 2", each with one file). I added the default installshiled prerequisite for the C++ 2008 SP1 redistributable and configured it to "Copy Prerequisites from Source Media". When I have a 1 CD setup, the prqs install fine from a CD. When I move "Feature 2" to a new disk 2, the prerequisite will no longer install.

Does anyone have any suggestion for how to deal with this? Is this a BUG in InstallShield? Am I doing something wrong?

When I change my prerequisites to "Extract prerequisites from Setup.exe", everything works fine. Unfortunately, I can absolutely not use this solution because we tend to have problems in the field verifying the digital signature on large files...and setup.exe becomes much too large with all my prerequisites included in it.

Thanks for your help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
lapester
Level 2

I am having a similar problem and will explain in further detail later.

Hope this gets some attention.
0 Kudos
mahdiprog
Level 4

I'm also have the same problem.
the prerequisites don't install in multi cd release.
I added prerequisites to a feature once and then choose "install before feature selection". both doesn't work.
I checked VOLUMLABEL in media table and they are same with CD Label.
please someone HEEEELP:confused:
0 Kudos
mahdiprog
Level 4

Any answer??
0 Kudos
lquehl
Level 2

Hello,

Just an update on this issue. I opened a support ticket with Flexera and in the end they accepted it as a bug with 'minor' severity.

I was told that this will not be fixed in the short term and that they will consider this for future releases of InstallShield. Honestly, this causes an enormous problem for us and our customers becuase we have large prerequisties which I cannot afford to compress into setup.exe or else our disks take something like 3 minutes to load. As a workaround have pulled out my .NET prerequiste (the largest of them all) and I force the user to install it manually from an exe that I include in my support materials. Ugly, yes...but unavoidable. Our other, smaller, prqs I compress into setup.exe which has an acceptable performance hit to our CD load time.

Here is a link to the item that I filed...not sure if you can access it 🙂
http://support.flexerasoftware.com/case/View.aspx?id=000000000002D7A8

If this problem affects you also, I would encourange you to contact Flexra and push for a hot fix. Perhaps if they knew it was affecting other customers as well there would be more motivation to fix the bug.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
mahdiprog
Level 4

I add prerequisites to setup.exe but the generated DISK1 is bigger than a CD (710 MB). It seams that IS don't check size of prerequisites.
I guess it's a big bug
0 Kudos
lapester
Level 2

I am still looking for a solution to this problem......

The SP1 update did not fix this problem.
0 Kudos