cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepakzworld
Level 4

Convert InstallScript Project to InstallScript MSI project

Hi,
I need to convert my project type from 'InstallScript' to 'InstallScript MSI' inside InstallShield 2009 premier edition.
The InstallShield Help Library describes it as a two-step process:
1. Converting 'InstallScript' to 'Basic MSI'.
2. Converting 'Basic MSI' to 'InstallScript MSI'.

I am stuck on 1. It says to use repackager utility which comes with InstallShield 2009 premier edition, but for some reason I am not able to locate it. Is it the same as ClickOnce?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(14) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

How did you obtain your copy of InstallShield 2009 Premier Edition?

If you obtained the DVD, you'll see a "Install InstallShield Repackager" hyperlink on the browser that's typically displayed when you insert the DVD in your machine's drive. You can click that link to install Repackager.

If you downloaded the InstallShield installation, you can obtain the Repackager by checking for updates from within InstallShield. (On the Tools menu in InstallShield, click Check for Updates. InstallShield launches FLEXnet Connect, which checks for updates. Repackager should be listed as one of the available updates that you can download and install.)

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
sspencer
Level 4

Can a project be converted from InstallScript to InstallScript MSI using the Professional Edition of IS2009?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Sorry, no. In order to convert an InstallScript project to an InstallScript MSI project, you must use the Repackager tool. Repackager is available in the Premier edition of InstallShield, but not the Professional edition. (Note that Repackager is also included with AdminStudio.)
0 Kudos
deepakzworld
Level 4

DebbieL wrote:
Sorry, no. In order to convert an InstallScript project to an InstallScript MSI project, you must use the Repackager tool. Repackager is available in the Premier edition of InstallShield, but not the Professional edition. (Note that Repackager is also included with AdminStudio.)

Thanks Debbie. I downloaded the Repackager and can now use it. But still, I am not able to convert my project.
Anyways, thats a different issue. Thanks for your help 🙂
0 Kudos
ethan_lin
Level 2

DebbieL wrote:
How did you obtain your copy of InstallShield 2009 Premier Edition?

If you obtained the DVD, you'll see a "Install InstallShield Repackager" hyperlink on the browser that's typically displayed when you insert the DVD in your machine's drive. You can click that link to install Repackager.

If you downloaded the InstallShield installation, you can obtain the Repackager by checking for updates from within InstallShield. (On the Tools menu in InstallShield, click Check for Updates. InstallShield launches FLEXnet Connect, which checks for updates. Repackager should be listed as one of the available updates that you can download and install.)

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software

I am trying out IS2009 evaluation.I followed the direction but I cannot see repackager in the updates.Is the repackage tools not available in the evaluation edition?I want to convert a setup.exe file to msi. Thanks!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

You are correct: Repackager is not available if you are using the evaluation version.
0 Kudos
trkennedy
Level 3

I am trying to convert an Installscript project to Basic MSI, and ran across this thread. I am using IS2009 and have installed Repakager, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere this can be done, or documentation for it. This thread seemed to peter out before that information was supplied, but if anyone can give me a clue, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I think the Repackager has a Help menu that displays the help. There's also available a PDF file of the Repackager documentation. You'll find a link for it on the bottom of the following page:
http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_5386.htm
0 Kudos
trkennedy
Level 3

Thanks, Debbie, but I have the help files and the user guide and it's just that I still cannot figure out how to convert an Installscript Project to Basic MSI. Any possibility you could point me to the section which covers that?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Page 33 of the PDF file describes the different repackaging methods. It has hyperlinks to instructions on how to use each method. Hopefully that'll help you get started.
0 Kudos
kmlshield
Level 3

Hi DebbieL,

How if i want convert from Installscript to Basic MSI?

Hopefully you can guide me on that. Thanks
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

kmlshield,

To convert an InstallScript project to a Basic MSI project, you'll need the Repackager tool, which is available in the Premier edition of InstallShield (and also with AdminStudio).

For instructions on how to use the Repackager, check the Repackager documentation. You'll find a link for it on the bottom of the following page:
http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_5386.htm

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
kmlshield
Level 3

Hi DebbieL,

Ya, i try d repackager. But There is some problem.

DebbieL, u are technical person for installshield? Can i post my question to u regarding Basic MSI? I am new customer of Installshield. Thus, I am newbies in Installshield Basic MSI

I am Using InstallShield Premier 2009
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If it's a problem with a Basic MSI project, I recommend that you create a new thread in this forum. (The title of this thread—Convert InstallScript Project to InstallScript MSI project—seems unrelated.) Then anyone who is familiar with the topic could respond to your question. (If I know the answer, I'll try to respond. If I don't, hopefully another user could help out.)
0 Kudos