cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
droland
Level 4

Connecting to remote machine causes firewall warning

Hi

A basic msi installs DCOM components to target machine. I have to connect to a remote machine to perform some registration procedures at the end of the installation. When I call a COM component from a custom action the Windows Firewall asks that I want to allow network accessing of the msiexec.exe. If I allow the FW exception, the COM calling will be successed. If I disallow it, I will give a COM error: "The RPC server is unavailable." (0x800706BA).

I have set security (Launch&Execute and Access) permission of COM components during installation. I have checked it in DCOMCNFG...

How could I connect to remote machine with a DCOM calling to avoid windows firewall warning on Windows7 or W2k8?
(I haven't got any problem on XP...)

Best regards,

Roland D.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
GetExp
Level 6

Could you try making the setting Impersonate=yes, for that particular custom action?
0 Kudos
droland
Level 4

GetExp wrote:
Could you try making the setting Impersonate=yes, for that particular custom action?

Hi

My msi is implementing a per-machine installation and the ALLUSERS property = 1. "In-Script Execution" setting of the discussed CA is "Immediate Execution". It is executed at the end of the installation during UI sequence.... (The current user is an administrator and UAC is turned off.)

How can I set impersonate=yes?

http://b.imagehost.org/view/0417/Firewall

Best regards,
Roland D.
0 Kudos
droland
Level 4

How should I call COM component to avoid the Firewall security alert (on W7)?

Should I execute an temporary exe file (either from binary table or temporary copied to User\Temp folder) to call COM and add it to firewall exceptions (temporary)?

What is the best practise? Isn't there any simpler solution?

Best regards,

Roland D.
0 Kudos