cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric_myerson
Level 2

Conditional Installation - where to start?

I have been asked to build an installation which will install one program if the operating system is WinXP or earlier and a different program if the operating system is Vista or higher. Since I am only familiar with building basic installers for one thing at a time, could someone point me at the place to start for building a single installer for two programs?
Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
manomatt
Level 8

Could you mention some more details like what kind of IS project you are using? and what do you mean by a different program?? in non xp machine?
0 Kudos
eric_myerson
Level 2

The projects I am familiar with are basic ones, I haven't started this particular one, so I guess it could be whatever type is needed. The fundamental reason behind the conditional install is that the sales folks want our previous version of a program, which is rather old and 16-bit to boot installed on systems where it can be run (XP or earlier). We have a newer version of the program which is 32-bit, but has fewer features, for use on newer platforms.
Any advice on what kind of project to use or where to look for information would be appreciated.

Thanks for replying!
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

You can either use the release flags to create two setup.exe one for (xp or earlier) and the other one for later OS. You can make you of BasicMsi project to achieve this. Get more info in Help on "Release Flags ". You will have one project to maintain but just 2 setup.exes.

Another way is include all the features and you have to write code to check for the os and depending on that you can enable or disable the features you wanted. You will finally endup with a single setup.exe which does installation on both flavors. If using Installscript then the api MsiSetFeatureState can be used to set the state.
0 Kudos
Amardeep
Level 3

have done something similar

that was build two seperate installers one for 32bit and another for 64bit

Then build another installer having those previous installers as prereqs.

Mine was a bit more complicated..

But that was essentially it
0 Kudos