cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfd001
Level 5

Component error- Hard one to crack!!

I have a feature with a few components. I have set the Installlevel to "0" to make sure that the feature will not be installed..

After installation I still get one of the components on the system that belongs to feature that is not installed.

I have tryied to delete and remake the component but I get the same behavoir.. This is really annoying and I have never seen this before.

I have all the normal settings on the component and there is nothing speciall with it..

Can anyone help out?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

is it just one component or all the components associated with that feature?

if it is just one component, then in the Files and folders view, right click on one of the folders and make sure the "show components" is checked. then find the component and right click and select properties, verify that it is associated with the correct feature and only with that one feature.

if it is multiple components, make sure you do not have the feature set to required.

You may also want to create a log of the install and check the state of each feature and component to make sure it is installing what you think it is.
0 Kudos
mfd001
Level 5

It is just one of the components.. And I have checked that it is conected to the right Feature.. When I look in the log the feature is not installed but the component is..

This is very strange.. Could it be something connected to the "Create Folder" Table..?
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Could this component be shared among several features?
Can you have a look at the FeatureComponents table to see what Feature(s) this component is assigned to?
0 Kudos
mfd001
Level 5

I have a few files that that will be installed with several feature.. The same files are included in diffrent feature as diffrent components.

From what I can see, this is the problem.. I am planing to use the duplicated files Table so see if that solves my problem.

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

What I would rather do is assign a component to more than one Feature, so that the same component appears in several Features.
Just add a few rows to the FeatureComponents table. You need to use the Direct Editor to do that.

Regards
0 Kudos
mfd001
Level 5

OK, I will try..

But my features have different destination folders, will that be effected?
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

You are right, if you only have one component shared among several features, this component can only have one destination path.

But that should tell you a little something: if a file is needed by several features, why don't you put it in a "shared" feature that gets installed anyway, thanks to its "required" flag?

In my opinion, copying the same file to several target locations can be more complicated to handle.
0 Kudos
mfd001
Level 5

That is what I have disocovred.. Thanks for your input..
0 Kudos
HenryL
Level 5

I think you can just open the msi directly in InstallShield, and then compare the components association with your ism project (hopefully you have isolated that by installing which feature will bring you the unexpected component, go for that feature directly). To my guess, it would have one more component associated with that feature comparing to your ism project. By saying so, I'm assuming that you have componet set as Scan .NET Dependencies and Properties, which would add missing dependency (could be from component or merge module) automatically for the components during building the msi package. Not sure if this fits into your case, however I met similar problem with this cause.
0 Kudos
mfd001
Level 5

That is exactly my problem.. How did you solve it?
0 Kudos
mfd001
Level 5

OK.. Now I got it..

Thank you.. I am a little bit slow!!
0 Kudos
HenryL
Level 5

Glad it helped. I assume you already fixed it by changing the ".NET Scan at Build" option to Properties Only or None. Actually I set the default .NET scan at build component setting to Property Only in Tools->Options->.NET. Well, this may not apply to everyone though, as missing dependency will cause app fails to run.
0 Kudos