cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjursch
Level 3

Component Does Not Install

I have a project that has six components in one feature. All of the components install except for the one that has the exe and supporting dll files. The files do not get copied to the installation directory. Two of the other components (config file and resource dll) are installed to the same target directory and they work as expected. Any ideas on what I may be missing? All components are set to only install on Windows XP or Vista and my workstation is XP.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

First, I would suggest creating a log file to see if it can tell you what the problem is.

What kind of project? If it's a Basic MSI, I would also suggest running validation against the project to see if that can uncover any errors. Also, if it's a Basic MSI, and you have one component with multiple executable files (exe and/or dll) in it, you have broken Windows Installer's component rules and you could be setting yourself up for some real issues for later upgrades and for repairs. Each component should contain only one executable file, and that file should be the key for the component.
0 Kudos
cjursch
Level 3

Kathy,

Thanks for your help. I "unbundled" the components I was having an issue with and all is now working as expected. I also apologize for not including the project type. It is an InstallScript project.
0 Kudos