cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigOldHarry
Level 2

Complete n00b question - be gentle!

I am a product release engineer in for a software company here in San Diego - we need someone to write Installshield packages/apps for our products, but we don't have budget to hire a guy - so *I* am diving in to see if I can't learn how to do it myself. Yes, I'm bold.:D

So - where's the best place to start? I can't seem to find any books on Amazon or Booksmatter.com that are less than 5 years old - and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure which version of the product I should be focusing upon! Our software usually ships pre-loaded on systems, but we would really like to package our software upgrades & patches in Installshield - - Our systems run anywhere from WinNT to XP to XPE.

Any advice or help you could offer would be really appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
TimStVCS
Level 7

Hi Harry, if you go to the Acresso website and look under The Services link at the top of the page, then select Education - you will be taken to a web page where you can click on the "Publications" link. There are basically two manuals you will want to consider purchasing. 1.) Learning InstallScript Projects Using InstallShield 2009 and 2.) Learning MSI Projects using InstallShield 2009. I have both books, but for InstallShield 2008.

Have a look at both of these - you can choose to look at their table of contents or a sample chapter. InstallScript projects are as the name implies script-driven, but MSI projects are probably what you are looking for as they offer the only true Windows Installer type installation.

Enjoy and good luck!

Tim
0 Kudos