cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpadilla
Level 5

Command Line build questions - Basic MSI

I am under the impression that it is possible to do a build using the command line using the IsCmdBld.exe.

are there any switches that let me change the product and package codes?

the -y switch mentions it can change the version number in the format of xx.xx.xxxx. My group uses a x.x.x.x notation, will the -y switch still accept that?

I currently have 7 different MSI's that I need to build and hand off to our testing group once a week, I am just looking for a way of streamlining/automating the process instead of having to open each installer file. 2 of the packages are always a major upgrade, while the other 5 are almost always minor.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

You can change ProductCode property with ISCmdBld.exe. However, PackageCode is in Summary Information Stream, you will have to use InstallShield Automation Interface to open and modify project during build time.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Do you need to set the PackageCode to a specific value (typically build reproducibility scenarios) or do you just need it to be different with each build? If the latter, InstallShield has a setting in the project to do this automatically.

Also I rarely call ISCmdBld.exe anymore. I use the MSBuild support. With MSBuild it's trivial to use a property function to gen up a new guid and assign it to the ProductCode property as part of the build.
0 Kudos
jpadilla
Level 5

Christopher Painter wrote:
Do you need to set the PackageCode to a specific value (typically build reproducibility scenarios) or do you just need it to be different with each build? If the latter, InstallShield has a setting in the project to do this automatically.

Also I rarely call ISCmdBld.exe anymore. I use the MSBuild support. With MSBuild it's trivial to use a property function to gen up a new guid and assign it to the ProductCode property as part of the build.

Nope don't need any specific PackageCode. I wasn't aware I could use MSBuild, do you have a link handy with an example of how to do what you suggest? Or could you give me a example?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Here's something to get you started:

http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield18helplib/MSBuild.htm

Are you using MSBuild with a CI engine or are you using TFS / MSBuild? If TFS, what version? Also what version of MSBuild?
0 Kudos
jpadilla
Level 5

Here's something to get you started:

http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield18helplib/MSBuild.htm

Are you using MSBuild with a CI engine or are you using TFS / MSBuild? If TFS, what version? Also what version of MSBuild?

TFS MSBuild, Visual Studio is 2012 Ultimate (Ver 11.0.60610.01 U3). We will most likely be upgrading to 2013 here in a few months.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Have you made customizations to your build process template or are you using the stock default template? Does your build automation currently handle versioning assemblies?
0 Kudos
jpadilla
Level 5

Have you made customizations to your build process template or are you using the stock default template? Does your build automation currently handle versioning assemblies?

Haven't made any changes to the build process template. As far as versioning assemblies all of our projects reference a cs file that is nothing more than

[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.9.15.0")]
[assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("1.9.15.0")]
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I wrote a message for you at work but every time I try to get on this site to post it I can't. I'll get it done here soon.
0 Kudos
jpadilla
Level 5

I wrote a message for you at work but every time I try to get on this site to post it I can't. I'll get it done here soon.

you ever get a chance to redo that message? 🙂
0 Kudos