cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpothugunta5208
Level 3

Combining 32 bit and 64 bit dll

Hi,

Currently we are using installscript to process the installation. we were using two separate 32 bit and 64 bit exe's. Now we would like to combine both 32 bit and 64 bit dll into one with differnt names. and based on the installed word document we will pick correct dll and install to the destination computer by programatically adding conditions to the InstalScript.

My question is how to set the INSTALLDIR and Template Summary values dynamically.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

A package cannot be marked as supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.

The Template Summary is a build time setting, not a runtime setting.

You could build two MSI files, one 32-bit and one 64-bit and then wrap those in a Suite or Bootstrapper that determines the bitness and runs the appropriate one at runtime. That's a fairly common thing to do.

Chad
0 Kudos
dpothugunta5208
Level 3

chad.petersen wrote:
A package cannot be marked as supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.

The Template Summary is a build time setting, not a runtime setting.

You could build two MSI files, one 32-bit and one 64-bit and then wrap those in a Suite or Bootstrapper that determines the bitness and runs the appropriate one at runtime. That's a fairly common thing to do.

Chad

What if i leave Template Summary Empty. Can it work on any Target Machine bitness? what i read online if i leave empty then default would be 32 bit. but i need to make this value set dynamically. any other approach please?
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367451(v=vs.85).aspx

Specifically where it says

"A Windows Installer package must be specified as either a 32-bit or a 64-bit package; it cannot be specified as neutral."

That is information from Microsoft.

Chad

0 Kudos