cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schneider
Level 3

Collaboration Tool VS2005 DIM in MSI

I created a DIM file with the Installation Collaboration tool.
I created that DIM file using VS 2005.

I have all the files in the File System of the DIM project, I have the registry information in the Windows Registry context of the DIM project, I ran a local “unit test” installation, it all looks good in VS 2005.
Up to there Great!

Then I created a MSM project and a MSI project to test how to reference the DIM file and to see how to work with DIM files.

I referenced the DIM file; ok It is referenced.
I see the General, Variables, Meta Info, Data, Dependencies tabs in the DIM References view.

I read the help but I do not find what I am supposed to do now with the DIM file referenced in my MSM and MSI projects.

What is my next step?
How do I get this DIM information to actually be concrete for files and registry keys?
How do I get the files that have been referenced to show in the File table?
Components? Registry keys?

What I am missing again in the help?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Schneider
Level 3

The problem was that InstallShield does not show the files listed in the DIM into the File Table. The same for the registry keys, components and so on...

I built the MSI and thanks to ORCA I found out that the information from the DIM file was included in the MSI. The only thing I could not find is the RunTime Variable that I had defined in the DIM.

I have no idea what happened to it, what it is used for; the only thing I know is I could not find it in the Output MSI.

IS Help states:

"The Variables tab in the DIM References view displays all of the build and run-time variables defined in a DIM. All of the values in the Value field are writable and should be set in order for them to be resolved properly. Changing the value overrides the value for the Unit Test Value setting. The Unit Test Value setting is read-only and is the value set by the DIM author in the DIM. "

So if I want to append a value to the system path when the MSI is installed, how can I define this in the DIM file?
0 Kudos
Schneider
Level 3

The problem was that InstallShield does not show the files listed in the DIM into the File Table. The same for the registry keys, components and so on...

I built the MSI and thanks to ORCA I found out that the information from the DIM file was included in the MSI. The only thing I could not find is the RunTime Variable that I had defined in the DIM.

I have no idea what happened to it, what it is used for; the only thing I know is I could not find it in the Output MSI.

IS Help states:

"The Variables tab in the DIM References view displays all of the build and run-time variables defined in a DIM. All of the values in the Value field are writable and should be set in order for them to be resolved properly. Changing the value overrides the value for the Unit Test Value setting. The Unit Test Value setting is read-only and is the value set by the DIM author in the DIM. "

So if I want to append a value to the system path when the MSI is installed, how can I define this in the DIM file?
0 Kudos
GEPIII
Level 3

Did you get a resolution to the runtime variable you set? I am trying to use the collaboration tool for the first time. I now have the build variables working, but I don't seem to be able to get the run time variable to work.

Specifically, when I go to install, my run time variables do not seem to dereference properly unless I set their value to a canned value (like [INSTALLDIR]). This is not what I want. I want to use the value of a system environment variable that I have created or that was created by a prerequisite installation.
0 Kudos