cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rouanvd
Level 3

Checking conditions before prerequisite install

Hi

I would like to perform a conditional check to see if WinXP SP2 is installed *before* the prerequisites are installed.

I have added the condition to the Product Properties but it executes too late.
It only checks the condition after the prerequisites have been installed.

I need to tell the user that he can only install if he has XP SP2 installed and then the install must exit before installing any prerequisites and the application.

Thanks
Rouan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Perhaps you could tweak all your prerequisites to require XPSP2 or later, so they won't even attempt to run in this scenario.
0 Kudos
rouanvd
Level 3

Thanks for the response.

The problem is that I need to install on other target platforms as well, not just XP and there doesn't seem to be a way to say IF we are running on XP, then check if we have SP2 installed. ELSE continue to install the prerequisite.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

OS Conditions are evaluated such that only one has to pass, but I forget if, say, XP SP1 will satisfy a check for Windows 2000 SP4. If that doesn't work, the two possibilities I see are creating multiple copies of your prerequisites (if they're downloads or you have plenty of free space on your media), or creating a helper exe which checks for this and skips the install. The problem with the latter is that you'd have to ignore real failures, or this will cause one to be detected.

I guess one other alternative would be to use feature prerequisites, at least if the prerequisites in question do not include windows installer or the .NET framework.
0 Kudos