cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Checking a pre installed software on a users PC

Hi

I need to check the presense of a program X on a user system, and if found I need to place an Icon on the users Desktop.

I don't need to give the user a message, just need to put an Icon ( which is a link to another web installer ) on users desktop..

Is this possible with installshield?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Preeti
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

What kind of project are you using?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi

thanks for replying..

I have not decided yet, I can use any type of project which can fulfill this requirement.

(NOTE : I also have one more requirement with installshield : http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=188052 )

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for replying.
I have not decided yet about the project type. I can use any type depending on the condition that my requirements are fulfilled.

NOTE : I also have another task to do with the same requirement : http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=188052 for which I also need some directions
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

You can do what you're asking about with either an MSI project or an InstallScript project. I asked because the method would be different in each.

With an MSI, you can use the System Search view to locate the software and fill in a property if it's found, then put your icon in a component and condition the component on the presence of the property.

With InstallScript, you do a search for the software then add the icon in an IF statement after the search. (You could do a registry search or a file system search depending on how you want to detect the software.)
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello kathy,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I got confused in both the things.. ( Sorry I am new so could not understand it fully )

Here is what I did as instructed by you :

1) [ With an MSI, you can use the System Search view to locate the software and fill in a property if it's found, then put your icon in a component and condition the component on the presence of the property. ]

In this step I was able to define a system search and was able to locate the software, I have also the icon in a component, but could not get what you mean by condition the component...

In system search I created a property named 001 but that property does not come up in component condition ellipse click??

2) [ With InstallScript, you do a search for the software then add the icon in an IF statement after the search. (You could do a registry search or a file system search depending on how you want to detect the software.) ]

I also tried this, I was able to do a system search with the help of FindAllFiles function. but I am unable to find a function which puts an icon or any file at users desktop

Also if there is a function.. then where it will pick that icon from, it should be inside a component.. what is the function for this functionality..?

Sorry .. too many questions, but I need to accomplish this task very soon 😞

Thanks a lot for your support

Preeti
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi

I think I should write the task in hand more clearly...

Here is a step by step requirements of my installer

1) On start of installation copy file xx somewhere in the target system ( may be systems or temp folder )
2) Search for a particular file yy in the whole file system of the target system

3) If yy is found then place a shortcut icon on the desktop of target system pointing to the file xx, so that a user can click on the icon and launch xx

Note : Actually i need to check approx 50 different yy Files and as soon as I get one I need to do the task 3 and finish the installation, if all 50 are not found the installer will finish without placing the icon

I am thinking of using Installscript MSI project, I have also written a function which does the task partially and can give a message if yy is found.,. but I dont know how to do task (3) in this IF else block

=====================================================

#define SEARCH_DIR "C:\\"
#define FILE_SPEC "badboy.exe"
// Included header files ----------------------------------------------------
#include "ifx.h"

function OnAppSearch( )
STRING svFoundFile;
begin

if (FindAllFiles(SEARCH_DIR, FILE_SPEC, svFoundFile, RESET) < 0) then
MessageBox("NOT Found badboy2.exe", INFORMATION);
else
MessageBox("Found badboy.exe ", INFORMATION); endif;

end;

=====================================================

If i can somehow do the task (3) in the above functions if block I will use this function 50 times for all files and can accomplish the task in hand.

Any help is highly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Preeti
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

Preeti,

Use wildcards for searching 50 files if you have something in common among those filesnames..
Use AddFolderIcon() for creating desktop shortcut, based on your search.

anitha
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello Anitha

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Unfortunately all 50 files are of different types and can also be on different locations... Si I think I have to run the search code 50 Times ... Its not very efficient and can slow the installer very much but I cannot think of any other option... its a strange project requirement 😞

Preeti
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi

I have gone through the AddFolderIcon function,

It seems it requires the fully qualified path of the files and icon to be placed on desktop... However in my case I don't know the path, the installer will place the file in temp folder or something and then should pick it from there..

How can I know the fully qualified path and how can I ensure that the file is already copied there before the search starts?

Thanks
Preeti
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi

After lot of research and getting help from all of your valuable inputs I managed to solve this finally...

Here is my script to search for a file ( in fact multiple files ) with a for loop and then based on the result copying an icon on the target system..

====================================================

#define SEARCH_DIR "C:\\"
#define ENV_TEMP "TEMP"

export prototype MainFiles_Installed();
function MainFiles_Installed()

// Find files routine starts
// variables
STRING FilesToSearch(3); // total 3 file names to be searched
STRING svFoundFile;
STRING svEnvVar;
STRING szProgramFolder, szItemName, szCommandLine, szWorkingDir;
STRING szShortCutKey, szProgram, szParam, szIconPath;
NUMBER nIcon;
NUMBER i;

// function begin
begin
// get temp folder path in svEnvVar to get the temp path
// this is the path where the icon and the associated file will be copied
GetEnvVar (ENV_TEMP, svEnvVar);
// array values

FilesToSearch (0) = "fille1.exe";
FilesToSearch (1) = "file2.exe" ;
FilesToSearch (2) = "file3.exe" ;

// Set up parameters for call to AddFolderIcon.

szProgramFolder = FOLDER_DESKTOP;
szItemName = "test";
szProgram = svEnvVar + "\\test.exe";
szParam = svEnvVar + "\\test.ico";
LongPathToQuote (szProgram, TRUE);
LongPathToShortPath (szParam);
szCommandLine = svEnvVar + "\\test.exe";
szWorkingDir = "";
szIconPath = svEnvVar + "\\test.ico";
nIcon = 0;
szShortCutKey = "";

MessageBox ( "Searching for Installed files" , INFORMATION );
for i = 0 to SizeOf(FilesToSearch) -1
//MessageBox ( svEnvVar , INFORMATION );
if (FindAllFiles(SEARCH_DIR, FilesToSearch(i), svFoundFile, RESET) < 0) then
//MessageBox("NOT Found " + FilesToSearch(i) , INFORMATION);
else
//MessageBox("Found " + FilesToSearch(i), INFORMATION);
if (AddFolderIcon (szProgramFolder, szItemName, szCommandLine, szWorkingDir,
szIconPath, nIcon, szShortCutKey, REPLACE) < 0) then
//MessageBox ("AddFolderIcon failed.", SEVERE);
else

endif;

exit;
endif;
endif;
endfor;

end;

============================================

However there is still one problem, FindAllfiles function requires a fully qualified path of the directory or folder under which it will perform the search. But I need to search in all directories ( may be user does not have a C: directory at all ). I am still clueless on how to do that.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos