Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heiner_violet
Level 7

Check if Reboot is required

Hello,
I'm working with IS 2008, Basic MSI.
How can I get to know if a reboot is required after the SetupCompleteSuccess Dialog?
I need to know this because in my setup, there is a Custom Action that starts another setup after the SetupCompleteSuccess-Dialog. I would like to start this follow-setup only, if no reboot is required. What is a good way to achieve this?

Thanks for any suggestions, H.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If nothing else, you might see if this ancient newsletter tip will help (PDF warning): http://www.macrovision.com/webdocuments/PDF/0012_PendingReboot.pdf.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Thank you, Robert, this newsletter was very helpful.
H.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

I did as suggested above: a vb-Script CA at the end of the UI-sequence detects the pending reboot and sets a property REBOOT_REQUIRED. I inserted a ScheduleReboot-Action at the end of the UI sequence. This CA has condition "REBOOT_REQUIRED And Not CheckBoxLaunchNextSetup". I removed the ScheduleReboot-Action at the end of the install-execute sequence.
Problem: Running the setup, a reboot is prompted at the end of the setup, regardless of the users choice of CheckBoxLaunchNextSetup.
The log-file indicates that the ScheduleReboot-Action at the end of the UI-sequence is skipped (as intended). But at an earlier point the ScheduleReboot-Action is executed.

Does anybody know, where the reboot prompt at the end of the setup is scheduled and how to suppress it?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated, H.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

In the msdn2 help the following is stated: "If the installer determines that a restart is necessary it automatically prompts the user to restart at the end of the installation, whether or not there are any ForceReboot or ScheduleReboot actions in the sequence."
So I will try to use the REBOOT property in order to control the reboot at the end of the setup.
0 Kudos