cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitutoyo
Level 4

Character limits in XML file changes?

I called and created an incident for this question, but thought I'd see if any users had experienced this or will benefit from the resolution.

I have an Installscript project (don't think that's important to this issue) and am using the XML File Changes area to create new elements during install. I have discovered, at least out of the box, there is a 259 character limit on attribute values. Has anybody else found this, and if so, what is the resolution. My string is an encoded connection string that is simply saving the string in 2-digit hex representation. So there's no way I can stay under that character limit.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is this for a raw value, or for a value configured to read from a property? If not the latter, give that a shot. But if it's already in a property, this could be an odd limtation in our functions, and I can submit a request to remove the limit.
0 Kudos
mitutoyo
Level 4

MichaelU,

It is both. Ultimately I will use a property to populate the value, but I also went into the interface, typed 259 characters, and the software refused to allow me to add anything beyond that. So I don't think the limitation is with the property (I also did a TextSubSetValue to add the long string to the property, then immediately called TextSubGetValue to verify the property wasn't being truncated).
0 Kudos
mitutoyo
Level 4

Live support has indicated this is a limitation of the software and has logged an item to have the value extended. In the meantime I'm apparently left with the FileGrep and WriteLine as a "possible" workaround.

This is not good.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There's always the ultimate fallback of using CreateObject to instantiate MSXML directly, and manipulate the XML document from script. It's not pretty, but it should work. Search terms InstallScript MSXML.DOMDocument should get you started...
0 Kudos
mitutoyo
Level 4

I was able to accomplish what I needed to do by using FileInsertLine. It doesn't format the XML file properly (tabs in the correct places, etc.), but the application takes care of that the first time it references the file anyway.

I will use this for now until IS relaxes this requirement in future releases.
0 Kudos
maadal
Level 3

This is a bug in InstallShield 2010, as we know it was working in InstallShield2008.
This is urgent for us to get solved, or we will have to go back to IS2008 to be able to release our product.
We are using XML File Changes to edit an xxx.exe.config file used in one of our applications. We are inserting a classpath which is far more than 260 characters. This was working in IS2008, but now, after converting to IS 2010, the classpath is truncated to 260 characters.

Any indications on when this is to be solved??
0 Kudos