cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doors666
Level 3

Changing uid key and the destination panel at run time

Hi,

I need to be able to change the product bean uid key value and the destination location for the product at run time depending upon the values entered by the user.

Basically our installer is two pass, and it installs two different components in each pass dependig upon the user selection.
For this, I need to be able to change the product's uid key value at run time, so that it doesnt flag errors saying "product is already installed", secondly, it should be able to change the default value in the destination panel, as we dont want the user to install both the component in the same location as it corrupts the uninstaller and some other files.

Thanx,
Vikas
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
toogoodju
Level 4

I assume that in you wrote a custom wizard action code to test if the product is installed. In that code, you are probably checking the uid of the root bean in the vpd. Instead, I suggest to change your code to check the uid of the feature that the components are under. If you have feature1 to be installed during pass1 with uid1 and feature2 to be installed during pass2 with uid2, then in your wizard action code, only give the message that the product is installed if uid1 and uid2 are both found in the vpd. You can find the key identifier of the features under the advanced view.

You won't need to change the value in the destination panel. When you click on a feature, the name of the feature should show up in the installlocation in the standard properties view. So if you are installing the product to c:\foo, then that feature will be installed under c:\foo\feature1.
0 Kudos
doors666
Level 3

It will work fine for the "Already installed error message", but I cant install the product in the same location as the second install will end up overwriting some of the files from the first install, which is not ok. I really need to install these in two different install locations, and the destination panel's install location seems unchangeable. It just picks up the install location of the first install and shows the same in the second install also, irrespective of how I try to change it.

toogoodju wrote:
I assume that in you wrote a custom wizard action code to test if the product is installed. In that code, you are probably checking the uid of the root bean in the vpd. Instead, I suggest to change your code to check the uid of the feature that the components are under. If you have feature1 to be installed during pass1 with uid1 and feature2 to be installed during pass2 with uid2, then in your wizard action code, only give the message that the product is installed if uid1 and uid2 are both found in the vpd. You can find the key identifier of the features under the advanced view.

You won't need to change the value in the destination panel. When you click on a feature, the name of the feature should show up in the installlocation in the standard properties view. So if you are installing the product to c:\foo, then that feature will be installed under c:\foo\feature1.
0 Kudos