cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcCa
Level 4

Changing package file properties

Hello,

When I look at the properties of the package file, I see in the version information all information about Macrovision and about the installshield with which the fille is created.
This is not wanted by our product management and I have to change this information to our company information.

Has anyone an idea how to do this?
I can't find anything in the help or the forum here.

I have a Installscript project by the way (otherwise I'd have found it in the help -> setup.exe tab).
If it is possible with instalscript MSI project I would also expect it to be possible with normal installscript projects. But How?

Of course I could do this with Visual studio each time after the installer is build, but since the product will be released more often, we don't want to do this every time.

If there is no solution, maybe it's possible via the commandline or some vBScript maybe?

Has anyone ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MarcCa
Level 4

I tried some tool I found in the CodeProject, but that also doesn't work.
Somehow when you alter a package file (self-extracting executable), and save it again, only the setup.exe file is saved and all other files in the package disappear. (the size of the new package is equal to the setup.exe in the package)
This also happens when you alter the package file with Visual Studio by the way.

Now I found some threads on the code project where users encountered the same problem, and the following solution was given:
"It is because you are using a self-extracting file. You need to update before you alter the PE header "
Now I don't know what is meant here or how to do this.

Can somebody help me and explain this?:confused:
0 Kudos
umesh_valase
Level 2

hmmmm..
i came across same problem but don't know whether it is same or not.
Are you using installshield 2008.

There was a bug in installshield 2008 and the fix is below
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q113578&sliceId=

try this...
0 Kudos
MarcCa
Level 4

Thanks!

It was not the solution, but it made be think about it! I found the setup.exe which was used in my project at
C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Redist\Language Independent\i386\ISP

So when I adjust the version info of this file, the package file will have the same version information and my probl;em is solved! :cool:

By the way,
I think it's not a good thing that adjusting the version info automatically is not possible in a IS2008 installscript project. This would be a good feature for the next IS version or for an update of IS2008.
I think it common that a company wants to mark the installer package file with his own version information. That this is not possible is not good and I wouldn't expect that for this well known product..
0 Kudos