cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjmfgm
Level 5

Change environment variable from System to User

Hello there,

I need to create a Environment Variables view to change the Type setting of that environment variable from System to User in the registry.

I have no Idea on how to do that, I looked at the help files and they do not make any sense.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Are you defining an environment variable in the Environment Variables view in an MSI project? If so, the topic Reference > View Reference > System Configuration View > Environment Variables View > Environment Variable Settings describes how to use that setting.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

I replied in this post http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=186779.

However this started with my other post stating that my registry key are not getting removed ( a couple of days ago ). So here it is again.

I have to append and add registry entries for a product that one has already installed prior? Meaning, I have to add a new product to an exiting key in the registry.

I need this the Environment Variables view to change the Type setting of that environment variable from System to User so when my product is getting uninstalled. I need to remove my registry entries which I have added with InstallShield.

The keys I added are not getting removed and per the ISICE20 below I must change the type setting of that environment variable from System to User.

I hope that this makes sense to you, because it does not to me. I never had to do that prior to all of my 12 products I installed in previous installments?

..............................................Error code......................................
Corrective Action
To resolve ISICE20 errors, do one of the following:

•Select Yes for the Require Administrative Privileges setting in the General Information view. For more information, see Entering Summary Information Stream Data.
•Change your project so that it does not install, modify, or delete data in system locations. For example, if your project adds a registry key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, use the Registry view to move that registry key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If your project adds or modifies a system environment variable, use the Environment Variables view to change the Type setting of that environment variable from System to User.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing here? I cannot find this information in any of the help files I looked at?

Thaks Again for your help sir.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Thanks Robert, I found the topic. I will read this now and see if I can figure this out.

Thanks for your help Sir.:)
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

I still cannot get this to work, I do not know what the problem is. I added the EV-Variable, I tried the User and System Type, I added a value and still no joy. I have attached an image to this reply to let you see my settings.

I hope that you can give me a few pointers on what I should do to get this to work.

Again thank you for all of your help.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I'm not sure I understand: the top of the figure appears to be an environment variable whose value is a registry key, and the bottom appears to be just the registry with no environment variable.

If you're just writing to the registry generally, and not to an environment variable, perhaps create your information under HKCU or HKEY_USER_SELECTABLE? The topic "Writing Entries Under HKCU for a Per-User Installation" has more information.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

The top image showing the registry entries which i am creating via the registry tool in IS and want to remove from the registry after uninstall. The image also is showing the component view just to make sure that I used the correct components.

The bottom image is showing the registry entries which have not been removed after uninstall. The tool I am using for view the registry is just a generic registry tool for viewing and searching the registry.

Also all my errors are gone now in regards to the "System type for uses", however when i uninstall my maps the registry keys I created with IS is not getting removed. What I do not understand is why are these keys are not getting removed when I uninstall my maps? IS added the keys and should be able to remove them.

Normally I would not care however the Garmin software will not work anymore if I uninstall my maps from the program folder and do not remove the registry entries.

Thanks again for helping me I really appreciate this.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps the component with that registry data is marked as shared, and therefore stays on the system? Creating a log file during uninstallation might help.

If that's not it, if all else fails you might look at this old newsletter tip (PDF): http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/product_data.pdf.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Thank you Robert, I never ran a Logfile for the uninstaller. How is that done?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Looking up "logging" in the help index should give more information; under InstallShield's Tools menu are log-file generators and analyzers, which should also be of use.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Here is my Uninstall log file, it looks Okay to me.
So here again my registry values and keys are not getting removed as well as the data in the all programs folder is not getting removed.

So I went and downloaded a free demo from "Advanced Uninstaller" to see if I made mistakes in my "IS" project. So I entered the same data in "Advanced Uninstaller" and all the registry keys as well as the data in the program folder is getting removed.

I am still do not know what is going on and I need help on getting this fixed. I believe now that there is a problem with InstallShield and I was wondering if there is a workaround for this? Maybe there is code available for a custom action that one may have that I can use to remove the registry key and also removes the data in the start menu.

Thanks again for your help and looking forward on hearing from you.
Fred
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You might try creating a verbose log file that includes the feature and component states; you can then use InstallShield's log analyzer under the Tools menu to see information about features and components being removed or not removed.

Assuming the files and registry data were installed using MSI actions, and not custom actions, the most common reasons for data not being removed seem to be (1) the data were already on the system before installation, or (2) the component is marked as shared and therefore not removed.

P.S. For unusual cases, that newsletter tip I forwarded gives some techniques for removing data during uninstallation. InstallShield is using standard Windows Installer actions and log to install and remove data, so a custom action should not be required.
0 Kudos