cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbrown1
Level 3

Change SUPPORTDIR variable location

Jump to solution

I have sort of inherited maintaining our installation program at my company. I don't know a lot about InstallShield, but have been able to mostly figure out what our current project does. I know the files that are in the Support/Billboards section get copied to a location on the client machine and can be picked up with the SUPPORTDIR system variable. 

One of our executables has all of a sudden started being recognized (incorrectly) as a virus by the client as soon as InstallShield writes the file to the temporary location identified by SUPPORTDIR.

Our IT department is willing to ask the client to put an exclusion in their AV software, but wants to be able to control more precisely where SUPPORTDIR is created.  Everything that I have searched online and in the documentation, does not indicate that there is anyway to change or have some control over where SUPPORTDIR is located. Is this correct, or is there a way to at least specify a root folder where it can create the space it needs?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @dbrown1,

Yes, you are correct--The InstallShield user cannot specify the SUPPORTDIR value / location. The SUPPORTDIR value is automatically set by InstallShield itself.

We agree that you would need to work with your IT Team and / or AV software vendor to make an exception or set an exclusion for the files triggering the false positive virus detection or get the situation corrected so the false positive virus detection does not happen at all.

By the way, could you please provide a screenshot of your Help > About InstallShield screen so we can get a better idea of which InstallShield version and edition you're using?

Also, could you please clarify the project type you're using? Basic MSI? InstallScript? InstallScript MSI? The project type is indicated in square brackets (for example, [Basic MSI Project]) on the InstallShield title bar, if you have your project open in InstallShield.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @dbrown1,

Yes, you are correct--The InstallShield user cannot specify the SUPPORTDIR value / location. The SUPPORTDIR value is automatically set by InstallShield itself.

We agree that you would need to work with your IT Team and / or AV software vendor to make an exception or set an exclusion for the files triggering the false positive virus detection or get the situation corrected so the false positive virus detection does not happen at all.

By the way, could you please provide a screenshot of your Help > About InstallShield screen so we can get a better idea of which InstallShield version and edition you're using?

Also, could you please clarify the project type you're using? Basic MSI? InstallScript? InstallScript MSI? The project type is indicated in square brackets (for example, [Basic MSI Project]) on the InstallShield title bar, if you have your project open in InstallShield.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos

You are very welcome.

0 Kudos