cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CGregg
Level 3

Chained MSI's - Minimum Set of Custom Actions/Sequences?

I was wondering if anyone could point me toward something (aside from trial and error) that would outline what the minimum set of actions/custom actions is for the Execute sequence?

In short, I'm using a simple InstallScript MSI executable to fire a set of Chained MSI's, and I want to eliminate as many of the extraneous Actions that it must cycle through before it actually begins to fire the first MSI.

Obviously, Actions such as ISSetupFilesExtract, ISChainPackage* and ISSetupFilesCleanup will be needed, but, being that this project does absolutely nothing (aside from install some prerequisites) except fire the MSI's, how much of the other stuff can I get rid of? Do I need to bother having it do Costing, etc..?

Any help & insight is greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
CGregg
Level 3

In case anyone wonders the answer to this as well, I was able to reduce the number of actions in the Execute Sequence to the following (and it may be able to be further reduced):

ISSetupFilesExtract
LaunchConditions
FindRelatedProducts
ISPreventDowngrade
ValidateProductID
CostInitialize
FileCost
ResolveSource
setUserProfileNT
setAllUsersProfileNT
setAllUsersProfile2K
CostFinalize
InstallValidate
ISChainPackagePrepare
InstallInitialize
ISChainPackageRollback
ISChainPackageCommit
InstallFinalize
ISSetupFilesCleanup

FYI: This is for an InstallScript MSI in IS2009 and it is simply a wrapper exe to spawn a bunch of Chained MSI's.
0 Kudos