cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlaprade
Level 3

Chained MSI - Uninstall main product but leave additional chained MSI

I have a package that I am creating that installs my product and then installs another MSI that a lot of our applications use. It functions just fine but of course if I uninstall the parent application, the child is removed as well. I would like to be able to uninstall the parent application while leaving the additional chained msi installed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Thanks,
Joel
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
scottd72
Level 7

I've had a similar situation. What I've done and what you might want to consider doing is creating a setup prerequisite out of the other MSI and include in your main project. This way, it gets installed with the main product, and does not get uninstalled when you uninstall the main product.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I agree that this sounds more like a prerequisite than a chained package. However it's straightforward to leave a chained package installed: clear the Removal condition for the package, and the chaining functionality will never remove it. Although as I said on a different thread, I would suggest preferring Suite/Advanced UI projects if you have any advanced chaining needs.
0 Kudos