cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickRogers
Level 5

Chained MSI Install Properties...

Using: IS 2009 Premier, Basic MSI.

I am chaining a MSI that has 2 properties, CUSTOMER_NAME, CUSTOMER_ADDRESS.

In the Install properties settings I enter the following:
CUSTOMER_NAME="[EDIT_CUSTOMER_NAME]" CUSTOMER_ADDRESS="[EDIT_CUSTOMER_ADDRESS]"

The EDIT_ properties are retrieved from my install package dialogs.

The MSI (created in Visual Studio 2009) contains the CUSTOMER_ properties. In VS these properties have default values.

In the Visual Studio CustomActionData field I have the following:
/CustomerName="[CUSTOMER_NAME]" /CustomerAddress="[CUSTOMER_ADDRESS]"

So I run the install and set the EDIT_CUSTOMER properties, however these values are not being passed to the chained MSI.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It's a little unclear from this description how far the properties make it. Let's try to answer where they fall out. Presumably if you take a verbose log of your outer installation, you'll see the EDIT_* variants get set in the dialogs. Possibly you'll see those set in the execute sequence - are they listed in the SecureCustomProperties property? Possibly you'll see them in the arguments passed to the chained install - are they listed in the IS_CHAINER_POST_COMMANDLINE property? Possibly you'd see them in a verbose log of the inner installation.
0 Kudos
RickRogers
Level 5

SecureCustomProperties = NEWERPRODUCTFOUND
IS_CHAINER_POST_COMMANDLINE has the correct values.

What is not clear to me is the following where my new values get replaced (This happens shortly after the "Running ExecuteSequence".):

Doing action: CustomTextA_SetProperty_EDIT1

Note: 1: 2235 2: 3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'CustomTextA_SetProperty_EDIT1'

PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying CUSTOMER_NAME property. Its current value is 'new name'. Its new value: 'old name'.

Rick
0 Kudos
RickRogers
Level 5

Update:

I went into the MSI setup package in Visual Studio and removed TextBoxA (the install dialog that contains CUSTOMER_NAME and CUSTOMER_ADDRESS).

Now when I run my IS chained MSI install package, the properties I set during the install interview are no longer being over-written by the chained MSI.

I would not have expected the interview content in the MSI to cause a problem for the chain install process - is this the normal behavior?

Thanks,

Rick
0 Kudos