cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GomezL170
Level 2

Cannot set DatabaseDir to F:\

I have been using installshield express since at least v 4.x, and have had this problem in every release.

I am now using InstallShield Express 2008.

In the "General Information" section, I setup

DATABASEDIR F:\CLSINC

This is where our database resides (On the network Server).

I allow the users to change this folder so the install can point to any location.

The problem is during installation, installshield will "GPF" and simply fail if the "F:" drive does not exist on their system. (For exampe installing on a standalone system).

In theory, they should be able to simply change the DB dir to the 'C:' Drive an continue, but they are not given that option.

The problem is even worse in MS Vista. In prior versions, you could simply "Map A Network Drive" to "F:", and it would work properly. In MS-Vista, it fails even if the "F:" Drive is mapped.

Our workaround has been to change the default to "C:\CLSINC", but of course a large number of users now install to the "C:" drive, as opposed to the "F:" drive. Almost all our users install the application to the "F:" drive.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Luis
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Starshines
Level 2

Hey Luis, you didn't happen to get a response to this question or find a resolution on your own? I have the same dilemma. I need the project to install on the D:\ vs. the C:\. Any pointers would be most appreciated. Thank you! 😄
0 Kudos
YoliRiv
Level 3

I sort of had a similar situation. Our database should be installed on a non-windows volume but we were not sure which drives would be able on the users system. What I did was poll the fixed hard drives on the users system using the VolumeSelectCombo control. It would list the drives available, if user chose C: a dialog box would require them to accept installing to C: and continue or if 😧 was chosen the installation would continue. Using InstallShield 2008 Professional
0 Kudos