cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred_Besterwitc
Level 3

Cannot Connect to remote SQL Server 2008 Express DB

Hi Guys
I cannot connect to the remote SQL Server 2008 Express DB. I am getting error dbnetlib invalid connection when I try and use in the DB Import Wizard.

And during inistallation I get Error 27502.

It works fine on a local server.

I need this fixed as we have deploy in 2 days.

Please see attachments for screen prints of errors

Regards,
Fred
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

use FEYNMAN\SQLExpress in place of FEYNMAN where you are using SQL server in you IS project.

SQL express needs to explicitly mentioned, only the server name is not sufficient. It should be like following :

\SQLExpress
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

you may also want to verify that the SQL Server Express 2008 is configured properly for recieving remote connections. I have not worked with 2008 much yet, but I know by default SQL Server 2005 Express edition had remote connections disabled.
0 Kudos
Fred_Besterwitc
Level 3

ChandanOmkar wrote:
use FEYNMAN\SQLExpress in place of FEYNMAN where you are using SQL server in you IS project.

SQL express needs to explicitly mentioned, only the server name is not sufficient. It should be like following :

\SQLExpress

Tried that still does not work
0 Kudos
Fred_Besterwitc
Level 3

Lurean wrote:
you may also want to verify that the SQL Server Express 2008 is configured properly for recieving remote connections. I have not worked with 2008 much yet, but I know by default SQL Server 2005 Express edition had remote connections disabled.

Works fine from managemnet SQL Management studio and other apps on my machine, just will not work from the install
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please make sure that the instance of the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express in question has been configured to listen to the TCP/IP protocol. Also, try forcing InstallShield to use the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client OLE DB Provider by following the steps below, and see if the problem is solved:

[LIST=1]
  • Go to the ISSQLDBMetaData table in the Direct Editor.
  • Find the "MSSQLServer" row.
  • Change the AdoDriverName column from "sqlolddb" to "sqlncli".
  • Change the DsnODBCName column from "{SQL Server}" to "{SQL Native Client}"
  • Rebuild your setup.
  • 0 Kudos
    Fred_Besterwitc
    Level 3

Thanks That Worked. Does this fix only for 2005 and 2008 sql server ?
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

I think that the SQL Native Client provider works with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and MSDE.
    0 Kudos