cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regexmaster
Level 5

Can I set a different EULA using release flags or conditions?

Ours is a basic MSI project that uses a setup launcher.

In a nutshell, we have multiple, slightly different product release configurations for which we'd like to use different EULA's in the installation interviews.

On searching the community articles, I found a post about how one savvy user does this in an InstallScript project, but we'd like to maintain the Basic MSI project, if at all possible.

Any pointers are very much appreciated.
-Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

How about using merge modules?
0 Kudos
regexmaster
Level 5

Thanks - I've never worked with merge modules before, so I don't have a good sense of what can be done with them, or how.

Before I launch into this, would you mind clarifying my read on your message as "I can do this with merge modules", rather than "you might be able to do this with merge modules"? In either case, I appreciate the suggestion and I'll pursue - It would have never occurred to me on my own. 🙂

Cheers,
Dave
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Can your license-agreement dialog contain multiple overlapping EULAs, where you hide all but one of them at run time depending on which one you want to show?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

We just bring different versions of the same filename into scope prior to building the install.
0 Kudos
regexmaster
Level 5

RobertDickau wrote:
Can your license-agreement dialog contain multiple overlapping EULAs, where you hide all but one of them at run time depending on which one you want to show?

Thanks all, for your ideas -

Robert-
- If you mean, 'have I tried to set up that functionality?', I have not (and where best in the documentation to start looking for that? "Dialogs?")

If you are asking if implementing your suggestion is a viable option for us, I'm not sure.

Here is our situation:
The 3 products in question are perpetual, subscription, and US Government versions, and use identical installation inputs _except_ for the program executable, another installed binary license, and, of course, the EULA.

As I understand it, I want to use Release Flags to build the image specific to each product configuration - and that takes care of my binary license file and the Executable very nicely. But the effect of this, of course, is we have 3 nearly identical installations, but we can't give the end user the choice of which they want to install because I suspect "Subscription" customers would all try to install the "perpetual" license version and be annoyed when their registration code doesn't work. (this ought to be considered "their problem" but it becomes mine 🙂 )

Thank you VERY much!
-Dave
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Either technique should work: as Chris says, just swap in the correct license.rtf before each build. My suggestion was to include all three ScrollableText controls on the same license-agreement dialog box, and use control conditions based on _IsReleaseFlags to hide two of the controls and show one at run time...
0 Kudos
regexmaster
Level 5

Ah - clear as a bell now!
Thank you all VERY much!
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

Not so sure if my suggestion using merge modules would do the job very useful too, that just came into my mind because Christopher Painter mentioned something similar in the past but using Properties inside merge modules for different releases.
0 Kudos