cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speedy
Level 3

Calling exe with parameters

Hi!

I have a question concerning calling an executable as a CA. My call works fine except one thing. I want to call the exe with parameters that are built up by public properties (user has chosen som stuff in UI sequence).
More specifically, I want to put public properties in the "Target" field in the CA Wizard. Is there any way to do this?

Can I use both public properties of the installation aswell as environment variables in the target field, how would I got about doing this?

My project type is a Basic MSI, the call is configured as "Deferred execution" and it's sceduled after the standard execute action "InstallFiles". The exe called is installed with the product.

Another general wondering. Do I have to copy the file I want to call or can i include it in the install file in any way to avoid users seeing it?

Many questions for a new user:cool:

Appreciate any help! Thanks,

Lars-Erik Lis
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Jeff2008
Level 6

Hi speedy,

I'm pretty sure you can pass properties by enclosing the property name like that: [PROPERTY_NAME]. Environment variables would use the synthax %VAR_NAME%. Now, for the file, you can use a custom action of type "launch exe stored within binary table" or "launch exe installed with product". When using the binary table, InstallShield will have to extract the file in a temporary folder during installation. That should be enough to avoid users seeing it.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, public properties as arguments look like [PROP_NAME], possibly quoted if there are spaces in the value, depending on the executable; environment variables in MSI look like [%VAR_NAME] (brackets, but only one percent sign).

The MSI help topic describing the "Formatted" data type has more information.
0 Kudos