cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisdrobison
Level 2

COM Automation Interface unregistered after uninstall

So I'm trying to automate our build process and I've written a small program in C# (Visual Studio 2008) that interfaces with the automation library. To deploy that solution, I created a small setup project in Visual Studio 2008. It detects all the dependencies, packages it and creates an MSI. So after the program is installed and working fine and I decide to uninstall it, the COM registration for the automation interface disappears. I have to repair the InstallShield installation to get it back. Is there a work around/fix for this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Sure, don't use VDPROJ!

Sersiously, VDPROJ has this annoying way of detecting dependencies that you don't need detected. It grabs a copy of the automation library, drops it in a private location and registers it and then on uninstall whacks it killing the original registration ( god COM sucks... ) You can try opening the VDPROJ solution and `exclude` the dependency and if you build locally that'll work but I've also seen alot of times where if you build the solution on another machine it'll redetect the depenency for you.

I would just get rid of VDPROJ and and make an InstallShield Basic MSI to deploy your utility. When you add your assembly as a component, set the .NET scan to Properties Only.
0 Kudos
chrisdrobison
Level 2

Yeah, it is kind of dumb. So, per your suggestion I looked at the properties for the dependencies in the setup project. It turns out that the type library files are set to be registered when installed, which I find stupid since they were already registered by InstallShield. So, I set each type library to not be registered and everything works great now.
0 Kudos