cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmykav
Level 4

Building an Upgrade

I have tried unsuccessfully to build a SETUP which allows users to install the latest edition over previous ones. I took an existing Express 2008 project and:

Changed the Product Version from 1.0.10 to 1.0.11
Left the “Product Code” unchanged
Left the “Upgrade Code” unchanged.

Added an Upgrade Path:

The Upgrade Code has the same value as the same value as the “Upgrade Code” on the projects “General Information” Screen
Set the Min version to 1.00.0000
Set the Max version to 1.00.1100
Set “Include Max Version” to “No”

I set the min version to 1.0.0000 because I want to be able to install over all previous versions.

When I build the project and run the resultant SETUP.EXE it warns me that there is an existing install which should be removed in Control Panel.

The only think I can see that *might* be wrong is that the application version numbers are in a slightly different format. VB compiled version numbers are along the lines of 1.0.11 whereas the help for the Min/Max versions says it should be in format 0.00.0000

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The Express edition only supports patches and major upgrades, however by not changing the Product code, you've set this up as a minor upgrade. Try either changing the product code so this is a major upgrade, or building this as a patch.
0 Kudos
jimmykav
Level 4

Hi Michael, thanks for the suggestion but that has not helped. Here is what I did.

* Made a copy of the existing project to work on

* On the General Information screen I clicked "Generate GUID" for the Product Code, so now it has a whole new product Code.

* The Upgrade Code has remained the same.
* Upgrade Path has the correct Upgrade Code
* Upgrade Path Min Version is set to 1.0.0
* Include Min Version is set to "Yes"
* Upgrade Path Max Version is sto to 1.0.10
* Upgrade Path Include Max Version is set to "Yes"

When i build the setup.exe and run it it still complains there is an existing version which should be removed first.

To summarise: The new setup.exe has a new Product Code, a new Product Version (1.0.11) which I believe make it a major upgrade.

I am slowly going mad...
0 Kudos
jimmykav
Level 4

All is working now.

Our antivirus software and prevented me copying the new setup.exe onto a network share, so i was actually running an old version of setup.exe that did not have the change suggsted.

Thanks Michael.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That's great to hear, as your earlier post had me thoroughly confused as well. Glad it's working now. 🙂
0 Kudos