cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vickenk
Level 4

Branding installation package

Hi,

I am asked to create two installation brands for our product to be distributed around the world. Each brand has its own unique dialog theme, product name, Install directory name, publisher... etc.

My goal is to avoid forking the IS Basic MSI Project that I already have, therefore I would like to control properties, themes and other variable using for example flags at compile time.

Can this be done? Any advice on how to do it?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jaybee96
Level 8

Yes, by using product configuration - release
with release flags:

Release flags enable you to customize your installation by including or excluding certain items in each release. Enter the flags that you would like to include in this release. Separate multiple flags with a comma.

Project: For Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects—Once you have assigned release flags to your features, InstallShield prerequisites, and chained .msi packages, you can create a release that includes features, InstallShield prerequisites, and chained .msi packages based on those flags. By default, all features, InstallShield prerequisites, and chained .msi packages are included in a release. Once you specify a flag in either the Releases view or the Release Wizard, only unflagged items and items that contain the specified release flag are included in your installation.

For Advanced UI and Suite/Advanced UI projects—Once you have assigned release flags to features and packages in the Advanced UI or Suite/Advanced UI project, you can create a release that includes features and packages based on those flags. By default, all features and packages are included in a release. Once you specify a flag in the Releases view, only unflagged items and items that contain the specified release flag are included in your installation.

Note: If a release does not have release flags, it will include all applicable items that have release flags. To include only unflagged items, specify a flag that does not exist. For example, you might use NoFlags. This way, only unflagged items are built into a release.

For Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects—Note that you can also specify release flags at the product configuration level. For more information, see Product Configuration Flags vs. Release Flags.
0 Kudos
vickenk
Level 4

Thank you for the reply.

I am playing around with release/product flags and they are covering my need well, but I have some more questions regarding them:

[LIST=1]
  • Is there a way to select a particular theme based on release flags? I have two product config, each with their own theme.
  • How can I set the product author/publisher based on release flags? There is no override field in product config section and linking strings to properties didn't do the trick (although it worked for IIS configuration!)

I would appreciate pointers to the right direction.

Thanks you.
  • 0 Kudos
    jaybee96
    Level 8

Hi , unfortunately this is not possible thru the regular InstallShield UI.

Workaround, which you can automate (http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/installshield21helplib.htm)

For the Theme question:
    1. Save your ISM as an XML Project format.
    2. Open your the ISM in Notepad and look for the theme reference and change to your needs..

Hope this helps?
    0 Kudos
    vickenk
    Level 4

Thank you for pointing me out to the Automation Interface and the theme workaround.
    0 Kudos