cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcusA
Level 3

Basic MSI to upgrade an Installscript MSI project

Hi All,

I've recreated our installer, which used to be an Installscript MSI project, as a basic MSI project. Im now having a problem in that when I run the new msi to upgrade an old installscript MSI installation, the new msi does not recognise the fact that the product is already installed. I want it to display the modify, repair or remove dialog when it is run, but it runs as if there was nothing installed.

I've copied the product and upgrade codes from the Installscript package into the msi, and even copied the package code as well. I know I have the right product code because after the second installation (with the basic msi), there is only one entry in the Add/Remove programs window, but the second install (which should actually be an upgrade/repair) still does not recognise the fact that the product code is already installed.

I did a quick search through the registry for the product code and noticed that after the Installscript MSI installation the product code was only found twice in the registry. After the basic MSI, the product code was all through the registry.

Is there a way to have the basic MSI recognise the fact that the Installscript MSI package is installed ?

Thanks,
Marcus
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MarcusA
Level 3

After further investigation, it appears that the problem isnt actually a basic MSI / Installscript MSI issue, but may be to do with the version of InstallShield ?

The original installer was created with InstallShield 11 - the new installer that doesnt seem to recognise the old one is IS2008. Has anyone had similar issues to what I am having ?

I created an Installscript MSi and a basic MSI both with IS2008 and they know when each other are installed and try to upgrade each other, rather than doing a fresh install. That is why Im starting to think its an issue with the IS version.

Thanks,
Marcus
0 Kudos