cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nate_Bloyd
Level 3

Basic MSI dialog capabilities

Hey,
I have been out of the loop for a few years, but have been asked to help out with an IS 2009 project by my company. I will try to include all I know about the requirements they want to have in the install.

In essence, they want the install to include dynamic offers (like the Yahoo toolbar in the Value-Added feature). The offers would not be built into the install, but rather pulled in from a server. It's obvious there isn't a browser control for dialogs in IS. Is it possible to build dialogs in an external environment (like .NET) and use them in an install? I don't care about the difficulty or hoops, I just need to know if it is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Both InstallScript and MSI projects can call into .NET assemblies (in different ways; see DotNetCoCreateObject() and "Calling a Public Method in a Managed Assembly" aka Managed Code Custom Action respectively), but integrating an external dialog into your dialog sequence could be painful. If you're not dead set on offering a browser UI to your end user, it may be better to wire up script or custom actions behind a custom MSI or InstallScript dialog like the ones you're already using.
0 Kudos
Nate_Bloyd
Level 3

Thanks Michael, so what you are saying is there's a chance 😉

I'll try the calls out and see what happens.

Thanks again for the reply,

Nate
0 Kudos