cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esiemiat
Level 9

Basic MSI - Post Build Batch File

I have been using InstallShield for years, but up until recently have only been using the pure InstallScript project type. Now I am finally getting the opportunity to create a Basic MSI project and noticed that a feature that is present in InstallScript is missing in an MSI project.

In an InstallScript project I could specify a BAT or EXE file to launch immediatly following the build of any release. I used this functionality to copy files and create ISO files for testing and release. Am I missing sopmething or is this really missing from an MSI project? If it is missing, is there a reason why it is absent?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
shamik
Level 3

Is there any solution to this ?

I need to achieve same functionality. I want to create the iso image of network image DISK1 folder that just got created from installshield.
0 Kudos
amit_kagrawal
Level 2

Hi,
How to invoke a batch file from while installation & uninstallation?
say, The batch file is bundled with the installer
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I was referring to launching a batch or EXE immediatly following a build. An installscript project type allows me to specify a script to perform post-build processes, while an MSI project does not.
0 Kudos
lemonfrenzy123
Level 2

You can create a custom action in Basic MSI using the Custom Action Wizard. In there, you can select to launch an executable, and then enter in something like the following:

"[SystemFolder]cmd.exe" /c "C://batchfile.bat"

Then, somewhere in your sequence (or if a dialog placed after ExecuteAction triggers it), set a dialog button event to DoAction and then the name of your custom action.

Basically, I have a custom configure dialog placed in the sequence after ExecuteAction which has a button prompt to execute a batch file for post-install configuration. When the button is clicked, it does my Custom Action which executes the batch file.

Good luck.
0 Kudos