cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nunocenteio
Level 3

Basic MSI - Change ProductName in runtime

Hi there,

I'm developing a Basic MSI installation.
I need to change the ProductName after the user introduces the "installation name". That new ProductName should appear in Add/Remove Programs and on the dialogs during the installation.

I've made a InstallScript that calls MsiSetProperty and I can see on the logs:
Action start 15:29:46: NewCustomAction2.
(...)
MSI (c) (E0!AC) [15:29:49:095]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ProductName property. Its current value is 'MyProduct'. Its new value: 'aaaa'.
Action ended 15:29:49: NewCustomAction2. Return value 1.

Which seems fine, to me.

However, on the end of the log, I still have:
Property(S): ProductName = MyProduct

I think that difference is on (c) and (s). As far as I could investigate the 'c' stands for client process and 's' for server process.

So, any hint on how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

It is a private property. So you need to sequence the custom action in both InstallUISequence and InstallExecuteSequence tables.
0 Kudos
nunocenteio
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
It is a private property. So you need to sequence the custom action in both InstallUISequence and InstallExecuteSequence tables.

Thanks for replying.
That means that I can't run the custom action when the user clicks the "Next" button on a dialog that I've inserted between InstallWelcome and LicenseAgreement?

Thanks
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

you can still run the custom action when user clicks on "Next" button on a dialog....
its just that you need to have this executed in Install Execute sequence to retain the changed product name...
0 Kudos
nunocenteio
Level 3

rrinblue22 wrote:
you can still run the custom action when user clicks on "Next" button on a dialog....
its just that you need to have this executed in Install Execute sequence to retain the changed product name...

Great! That did the trick!
Thanks a lot.

... Moving to the next step!
0 Kudos