cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

Base OS language Vs Language Pack issues

I have a multi language installer, which I want to detect the 'UserLanguage' and install the necessary language specific components. The problem I am finding is that InstallShield can only detect the base OS language, not the language pack the user is using. So base OS = English with a French language pack installed results in the installer thinking it is English.

Well for a full UI install, I simply show the language selection dialog at the start, it isn't ideal, it defaults to English, but the user can then select French.

However, for a silent install this is no good - but then there is no UI right? I just need to condition out the components after making an API call to get the UserLanguage, this involves catching 16 different Language codes just for French, 18 for English, 22 for Spanish, 1-5 for various other languages. 14 languages in total, done and I thought I was rocking.

So I silently install this on an English OS with a French language pack and sure the right (French) files are installed, but the shortcuts are in English and additionally when you uninstall from the ARP there are a couple of dialogs that pop up which again are in English. I should add a note about the shortcuts, in that they are seperated from the files to allow the user to choose whether to install the shortcuts on a UI install, but they are in fact from language neutral components anyway.

Any ideas how to set the installer language to the language pack rather than the OS language. My understanding is that the language selection is made from the Setup.exe wrapper before you can run any embedded CA making an API call to get the language code. So is the only solution to run a bootstrapper app that makes the API call and then calls the setup with the /L parameter?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
weakness
Level 6

Nick Umanski wrote:
So is the only solution to run a bootstrapper app that makes the API call and then calls the setup with the /L parameter?

I think so. As far as I'm aware,language detection function is not customizable. And sometimes this function doesn't work fine....
0 Kudos