cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Megz77
Level 3

Automation Questions

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to AdminStudio and InstallShield and I'm trying to figure out how to automate package creation using one or both of these tools. Can anyone give me any pointers or point me to some documentation? Also, is there a CLI for AdminStudio Professional and/or InstallShield 2008?

Thanks!:D
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You can automate some common project tasks with the InstallShield automation interface. The root object, ISWiProject, is used as a starting point for automation tasks and can be used with most languages that work with COM. The ISWiProject help doc includes some sample VBScript code to open a project. You can also use the CreateProject method to create a new InstallShield project.
0 Kudos
stmcginnis
Level 3

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we have an automated build process that updates the InstallShield project and performs the build from the command line.

In our case we use MSBuild, but the basic steps should work with any kind of build script.

When we create the InstallShield project we make sure the project is saved as XML. The version is the main thing we need to change so everywhere within the IDE we set this to 99.99.99.99. In the build script we replace all instances of 99.99.99.99 with our actual build number.

After updating we just call the command line build. We use the Standalone Build but this would work equally as well with the full version.

"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009 StandaloneBuild\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p ProjectSetup\ProjectSetup.ism -a "Default%20Configuration" -r Release -b (dropPath)
0 Kudos