cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Otter
Level 2

Are InstallShield2012Premier.exe and InstallShield2012Professional.exe different?

I have licenses for both Prem & Pro.

I see that the InstallShield2012Premier.exe and InstallShield2012Professional.exe files have slightly different sizes (8 bytes!).

Do I need to keep both, or will they install the version that is specified by the activation code?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

And a related question, if you are using InstallShield concurrent licensing, is there a way to check out a Pro key when a Prem key isn't available?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Both installers will lay down the same bits; the difference is essentially a registry key's value. You can change this value (and thus the license we try to acquire) by calling System\tsconfig.exe with either /pro or /premier. There are other values for the Express edition, various add-ons, etc.

The latter may address Chris's concern with the concurrent licensing server, but it is a manual process, and somewhat sticky.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I've already written an ISVersionSelector.exe that queries the ISM and selects the correct provider. I wonder if it would be possible to make Flex API calls to find out the best license currently available, call tsconfig and then call isdev. Hmm.....
0 Kudos