cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron_Barnett
Level 5

Application Pools Specific User

Hi

My Installation installs a web app with a Application Pool.

On the Install i want to give the user the ability to choose to run the application pool as 'Network Service' OR 'Specific User'

I have created my application Pool within the "IIS View" But the dropdown 'Identity' only allows me to select 'Network Service' OR 'Specific User'

Is there a way to change this value during the Install?
So that users can select to use a Specific user OR Network Service?

Thanks
-Aaron
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Aaron_Barnett
Level 5

Hi, im using 2010

Im Creating a Application Pool with a Specific User - that the user can set....

The InstallScript sets the variables
TextSubSetValue ( "", szUser, FALSE );
TextSubSetValue ( "", szPassword, FALSE )

but when i paste into IIS view -> Application pool -> SpecificUser Password it comes up as ******************

will this still work? - Will the password be set to '' ?
0 Kudos
mikegillow
Level 5

I'm using the concept in my InstallScript MSI setup and yes, it does work. Use Direct Editor and check the ISIISProperty table - MetaDataValue column. Your variable name will actually be there, not the asterisks.
0 Kudos
TimStevens
Level 3

Bumping this, as I'm doing something similar I've created a dialog to accept the username and password that should be assigned to the application pool, and then assigned the properties that correspond to those text fields to the username and password fields in the IIS Application Pool dialog through the UI. I've tried it both using {MY_PROPERTY_NAME} and and the installer never uses the value the user entered, just the string "".

Is there a manual step required to perform the replacement?
0 Kudos
mikegillow
Level 5

If you are using InstallScript, you need to use an MsiSetProperty call to assign the value of the variable to the property after you get the variable set. (e.g., call AskText to get svPropertyName, then call MsiSetProperty to assign the value of svPropertyName to the property MY_PROPERTY_NAME).
FYI, you should be doing something to validate the username/password combo or make sure in your testing that using an invalid combo doesn't crash the install.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

For Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects, you'd need to use Windows Installer properties in square brackets--for example, [MYPROPERTY]. For InstallScript projects, you'd use a variable in angle brackets--for example, . For examples, see the following help topics:
Using Windows Installer Properties to Dynamically Modify IIS Settings
Using InstallScript Text Substitution to Dynamically Modify IIS Settings
0 Kudos
TimStevens
Level 3

Thanks so much. I hadn't tried square brackets!
0 Kudos