cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vijay__K
Level 7

AppFriendlyname - ISIISProperty Table

Hi,
I converted a project from IS2008 to IS2010.
The Virtual Directories that had an 'Application Name' set in IS2008 still display the Appliaction Name.
I have created two new virtual directories in IS2010 but the 'Application Name' still does not exist.

I found that editing the ISIISProperty table, friendly name for the iis item still doesn't do anything.

Is this a bug, or what can I do to overcome this?

Attachments.
(Old IIS shows IS2008 converted to IS2010)
(New IIS shows the IS2010 created virtual directoreis).

Thanks,
Vijay
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Bineesh
Level 6

I am also facing the same problem......
After installing the application it is still showing as the virual directry not website. Need manually create application name then only it becomes website...

If you findout solution please share..
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The AppFriendlyName property is only intended to be used with migrated (pre-IS 2010) IIS virtual directories to maintain backwards compatibility with installation behavior. Newly created applications do not normally use this property (new virtual directories will never use this property).

Note that it is possible to use the AppFriendlyName for newly created applications (not virtual directories) by setting a value in the Direct Editor. However, this was not an intended use case and may not work as expected.

The reason AppFriendlyName is no longer used is to bring the InstallShield IIS functionality more in line with IIS 7.x functionality. IIS 7.x does not use separate names when an application is created or configured, compared to IIS 6 and earlier; it uses the virtual directory alias as the application name.
0 Kudos
Vijay__K
Level 7

Hi,
I did try to hack the iis property table to contain the AppFriendlyName for a particular Virtual Directory but this didn't work.

The installation is ok for IIS7, but for older systems this is proving to be a problem for out product.

Do you think I could create a metaDataProp to override installshields behaviour?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

For the AppFriendlyName to be used on a virtual directory, the IIS item type for the virtual directory in the ISIISItem table needs to be set as a legacy virtual directory (which is only set on virtual directories in projects migrated to IS 2010).

I'm not aware of an individual property that can be used to set the AppFriendlyName in IIS 6 or earlier; our IIS functionality uses an COM interface implemented by IIS to set the application name and create the application.
0 Kudos
Vijay__K
Level 7

Thanks alot for your help Josh.
Appreciate it.
🙂
0 Kudos