cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjowens
Level 4

App launches during release build!?!

Okay, I'm scratching my head, going WTF!

During the build of my basic MSI release (AmbestAppraisal), IS launches the setup for an entirely different MSI release. It (the launched setup) then errors out with MSI error 1731 because it can't find the msi file for the launched setup in the release folder of the setup being built.

Just as a test, I went to a different project and tried building it's release, and the same thing happened...the same setup was launched. I even created a new release from scratch...same thing.

I have gone through all the build logs and can find no reason for the setup to launch. Anyone seen this before? Any ideas while I still have hair left?

TIA
-Pat
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

A few questions..

1. At what point in the build process does the application launch?
2. Does the Build stop and wait for the setup to end before continuing?

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
pjowens
Level 4

Hi, Mike.

1. It always launches at the same point, when starting to import a database. Here's the spot in the log where it launches:

ODBCDriver table successfully built
Database Import Starting...
Script Filename: G:\Installs 2008\RetailAppraisal\Script Files\sqlscript3.sql
Server Name: AMBEST
Database Name: ambest_courses_tracking
<-----it launches the setup right here!

2. The build stops and waits until I have cancelled out of the launched setup. It then completes the build. I haven't tested the resulting build to see if it works, but why would a build be launching an outside app?

-Pat
0 Kudos
pjowens
Level 4

Okay, judging from where it's been happening each time, I went to the SQL Script screen and unchecked the box to "Regenerate SQL Script at Build" and it built just fine.

So something in the Database Import Wizard is launching the outside app. What's up with that?

-Pat:confused:
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

InstallShield imports databases from Microsoft SQL Server using Microsoft SQL-DMO object. I am guessing that one of the files or COM information for the object is corrupt and Windows Installer repair is kicked off. Do you see the strange behavior when you try to import a database using the Database Import Wizard in the SQL Scripts view?
0 Kudos
pjowens
Level 4

Yes, it happens when I click the Database Import Wizard. But I'm beginning to suspect a corrupt mmc.exe file. The same thing happens (install setup launched for one particular app) when I open Enterprise Manager, along with several other .msc files, for example "Services and Applications" in the Computer Management Console. And, unless I'm mistaken, mmc.exe is used to open all *.msc files. But it doesn't happen for ALL .msc files.

And why would they all be trying to launch the same setup app?

I'm getting a real doozy of a headache today...:confused:

-Pat
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Probably the install setup for the particular app has removed some of core files for Microsoft SQL Server client tools. Could you reinstall them (especially SQL-DMO components) from the Microsoft SQL Server setup and see if the problem is solved?
0 Kudos
pjowens
Level 4

I checked the logs in my Management Console and found the install it was trying to launch. Then I uninstalled the product (an earlier test install of a different build) that it was trying to install.

Works fine now. How it got linked to the mmc.exe I'm still trying to figure out, but for now it's working. If I figure out what happened, I'll post it here.

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

-Pat
0 Kudos