cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brightside
Level 3

Another version of the product is already installed...

Hello!

There are 2 situations with Installshield when I get the "Another version of the product is already installed " error.

1. I'm building the same Installshield-project as both single MSI and as single EXE.
Running EXE. The installation is succeeded.
And then I'm running MSI and getting "Another version of the product is already installed " error.

2. I have built a single MSI file for a project.\
Running MSI. The installation is succeeded.
I change field "Product Version" from 1.00.000 to 1.00.001. Build MSI.
Running this new versioned MSI. That leads to "Another version of the product is already installed " error.

The question is:
1. How to make MSI-s run correctly in both cases?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
TheResearch
Level 6

Try changing the ProductVersion to 1.xx.000 instead of 1.00.001
0 Kudos
Brightside
Level 3

My problem is partically solved.
In the Releases View I set the following details of the "Project_assistant" item:

Package Code > I generated new GUID
Generate Package Code > No.

It must have been done because of it's not allowed to use 2 different msi-s with the same Product Code but different Package Codes.

And now I face the new problem. The MSI-installer with a newer version doesn't show message like 'Do u wanna upgrade to new version?'. It runs like the standart way with 3 types: remove, repair, change. And doesn't update the installation.

Please, are there any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

If you wish to upgrade a single MSI file project then you need to pass the following command through the command line for installing the upgrade.

msiexec /i "Path where the msi file is located" REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL
0 Kudos
Brightside
Level 3

Lenwin, thanx.
Your variant works, but not normally:
1) While upgrading old files are not uninstalled
2) User wants to run .msi-file, but not command-line. Is there possibility to load this command into msi?
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

If you wish to install a major upgrade using only a compressed MSI setup then this looks like the only option.

In order to remove the old files you need to create an entry of the old files in the Remove file table of the upgraded version.
0 Kudos