cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mangesh_More
Level 2

Another instance already running Error on Windows 7

Hi All,

I am getting the following error when I tried to run my Installshield installer on windows 7 machine using Standard user.

"Another instance of this setup is already running. Please wait for the other instance to finish and then try again. "

I tried searching the setup name in the taskmanager and there is only one instance of the installshield.

I dont get this error when I launch this installer in Admin mode. I am using the Installshield premier edition version16.

Could you please help me in understanding what is going wrong?

Thanks & Regards,
Mangesh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
lindaproe
Level 3

User in Greece and user in Italy - same error,
Is this a Windows7 error since the latest update or something. The installer has been in place for about 3-4 weeks and these are the first reports of this error.
0 Kudos
lindaproe
Level 3

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/9194.aspx

Check this out.... may be the cause of the error.
0 Kudos
bbutler99a
Level 3

I had the same issue. I thought I had set the "required execution level" (in installshield 2010 - Media->Release) to run as admin, but it was "highest available". That's probably your case too.

One crucial thing is I am calling an MSI from an installscript project. So when it was installing with a standard user, it would start the install, then immediately call the MSI and that would cause it to prompt for admin privileges. At that point, there was an installer running (the installscript one), and now it was trying to start another installer (the msi) with different privileges (because I didn't have the required exe level set to admin) so it would give the "installer running" message. BUT, if I was logged in as admin, or now that I set the required exe level to admin, the message doesn't come up and things work fine. Would you call this a bug? It's definitely a headache. Seems like the "trying to start another installer (the msi) with different privileges" is a no-no. I wonder if this is documented anywhere.
0 Kudos
lindaproe
Level 3

I had my privileges set to Invoker.....
I thought that was best to avoid any other issues that might arise from requiring Admin privileges....
0 Kudos
lindaproe
Level 3

And this is a simple Installscript Project. It does not call an MSI script.
0 Kudos